Why Awareness Through Movement®?
“When you know what you’re doing, you can choose to do something else,” Moshe Feldenkrais famously said many times and in many ways. We develop patterns during our lifetime that define our movements from the smallest gesture to the largest full-bodied action. Every aspect of our lives—how we relate to stress, how we heal from trauma, how we feel pleasure and joy—is inflected by these patterns. This is good news, actually. Patterns are useful to us; in fact, we wouldn’t be able to function without them. But some can hold us back when we want to grow and learn.
When we practice Awareness Through Movement, we bring previously unknown habits into the light of day where we can get to know them better—which means we get to know ourselves better. What remains outside of our awareness is destined to be compulsively repeated. Once we can perceive that we are doing something a certain way, we have options to do it differently.
This all sounds very abstract, but in practice Awareness Through Movement is all about what is concrete. Sensation is the language of movement. During Awareness Through Movement we draw our attention to our bodily sensations and feel what is present for us in the moment of movement: pressures of the floor against your back as you roll, lengthening of skin and muscle as you reach an arm, spaciousness in your chest as you breath. Sensation is our only mechanism for reading our movements, and thus for truly judging what is good movement. By practicing Awareness Through Movement, we improve how we sense and we clarify what we sense. By choosing pleasant-feeling movement over strain, we bridge that daunting gap between compulsive habit and elegant, self-directed action.
About Online Feldenkrais Classes
- The online Feldenkrais classes I am offering through my website are 35-40 minutes. (For an hour-long lesson with me on Sundays, click here.)
- All you need is an internet connection with a camera. (Use a phone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer.)
- Never used Zoom? It’s best to download it ahead of time onto your device. This should take only a minute.
- Join us from anywhere in the world!
Paying by Session
- Classes are ongoing through May 26
- Need to miss a class? A recording of the lesson will be made available to you to use at your convenience. (In the rare occasion when I cannot teach a scheduled class, I will add a make-up time to the schedule and provide a recording. )
- When you register using the red buttons below, you will get an automatic email from Acuity, my online scheduling platform. On that email you will find the link to your first Zoom session. You will receive reminder emails before each class with the Zoom link, as well.
- Pay-what-you-can is an option for all classes. To participate this way, please use the yellow “Donate” button below. When you pay using the yellow button, I will manually add you to the class list. Please make sure I know what classes you are requesting. No donation is too small.
Wednesdays—Online Feldenkrais classes done on a blanket or mat on the floor
5:30 p.m. Pacific US/ 8:30 p.m. Eastern US/ 12:30 p.m. Thursdays AEDT
$66 per session
Fridays—Online Feldenkrais classes done in chairs
9:00 a.m. Pacific US / 12 noon Eastern US
Through April 2
These classes will be taking a break for a bit after April 2.
Pay-what-you-can, drop-ins, and alternative payment schemes
Use this button to pay-what-you-can for a series or drop in to any single class (suggested $15 or what-you-can). You can also Venmo me @sheri-cohen.
For more classes offered, please see my Classes and Workshops page.